T he Senior Companion Program is a national program that matches concerned mobile seniors with their aging peers. Born in 1968, the Senior Companion Program has been assisting in keeping seniors independent for nearly 50 years and is still going strong!
SVCOA coordinates the Senior Companion Program for both Bennington and Rutland Counties.
• Are over 55 years of age
• Have limited income
• Receive a small (tax free) stipend and other benefits for their work, such as mileage reimbursement, sick/vacation and holiday pay (NOTE: Becoming a Senior Companion will not affect any of your SSI benefits)
• Love to help their neighbors
Senior Companions provide:
• Assistance with important daily tasks
• Reminders to take needed medication
• Opportunities for sharing conversation, hobbies, etc.
• Friendship that can last a lifetime
If you would like to learn more or explore the idea of becoming a Senior Companion, please call our Senior HelpLine at 1-800-642-5119 or 1-802-786-5990 and ask to talk with our Senior Companion Program Coordinator.